[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 23:10:36 EDT 2013

Jerry:

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> A couple of cautions here:
>
> First of all, don't get too enamored with Karl's denigration of the
> Masoretic pointing.  The  Masoretes were preservers and not innovators.
> There is no doubt that they made mistakes; but, for the most part, their
> vocalization of the text is based on reliable tradition that was handed
> down to them from the previous generations of scribes.  No reputable
> scholar working in Hebrew Bible accepts the work of Masoretes as completely
> reliable.  But neither do any reputable scholars simply dismiss their work
> either.

Where do my views differ from what you wrote above?

The biggest difference is that I’m a reader, not a scholar. At least that’s
what got me to this point. It’s just that as I got more and more familiar
with the text and the language used to transmit it, I found more and more
problems where what I was reading didn’t fit what I had been taught about
the language.

As far as the pronunciation, the points reflect the Masoretic time and
place, not Biblical era pronunciation. As far as meaning, I’ve been
consistent that the vast majority are accurate.