[b-hebrew] ex 6:6, "bring"

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Tue Jul 9 16:28:58 EDT 2013

Thankyou nir for pointing that out, brain was all over theplace this
afternoon.  Shalom.

Chris Watts
Ireland

On 9 Jul 2013, at 20:14, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. wrote:

chris,

the -TY at the end of WHWC)TY is not 2nd but 1st person. thus, it
cannot be
imperative, but it could in principle be cohortative.

however, the waw-prefixed imperfect, W-XXX-suffix, is generally used as
future, in either mood: imperative/cohortative/jussive, indicative or
subjunctive, depending on context. in Ex 6:6 W-XXX-TY is definitely not
cohortative but future indicative. though THE VERY SAME VERB FORM could
serve as cohortative in another place!!!

the real problem in this sentence is not the mood: it is the fact
that the
waw-prefixed verb form follows a noun clause. in some sense, the waw
in 6:3,
and maybe also in 6:6, is equivalent to ASHER, i.e. has an
introductory effect
(introduces god to the people) besides stating future events.

nir cohen