[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

Dave Washburn davidlwashburn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 13:32:57 EDT 2013

Nobody is born knowing this stuff. We're all in various states of learning,
and the biggest difference between you and me is, I've been doing this
longer than you have. That's all. Don't get down on yourself; as Jerry
said, we've all done it, many of us more than once. we welcome you to our
community of befuddled Hebrew-lovers.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes at eircom.net>wrote:

> Hallo Jerry, I am so utterly dumbfounded.  I can not even find out
> 'how" I made that mistake, trying to look at all the places where it
> does say 'imp' thinking what on earth was I looking at.  I really
> have no idea how that happened, but thankyou for pointing that out -
> really, a stupid situation I just landed myself in - honestly.
> Thankyou. (well at least I was right in questioning when I thought it
> was an imperative so some common sense prevails thank goodness)!
>

> Chris Watts
> Ireland
>

> On 9 Jul 2013, at 17:35, Jerry Shepherd wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> A couple of cautions here:
>
> First of all, don't get too enamored with Karl's denigration of the
> Masoretic pointing.  The  Masoretes were preservers and not innovators.
> There is no doubt that they made mistakes; but, for the most part, their
> vocalization of the text is based on reliable tradition that was handed
> down to them from the previous generations of scribes.  No reputable
> scholar working in Hebrew Bible accepts the work of Masoretes as
> completely
> reliable.  But neither do any reputable scholars simply dismiss their
> work
> either.  So Karl's views, I think I am safe in saying, are not shared by
> the vast majority of scholars on this discussion list.
>
> Second, and more importantly, I'm not sure how you did it, but you have
> misunderstood the information from Davidson's analytical.  Perhaps
> you were
> looking at the wrong line, or you misinterpreted Davidson's
> abbreviations.
> For this particular form, Davidson indicates that the form is a Hiphil
> perfect (he uses the term preterite) 1 person singular with a
> prefixed waw
> consecutive, which is exactly right.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Jerry
>
> Jerry Shepherd
> Taylor Seminary
> Edmonton, Alberta
> jshepherd53 at gmail.com

Dave Washburn

Check out my Internet show: http://www.irvingszoo.com

Now available: a novel about King Josiah!