[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

Jerry Shepherd jshepherd53 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 12:35:12 EDT 2013

Hi Chris,

A couple of cautions here:

First of all, don't get too enamored with Karl's denigration of the
Masoretic pointing.  The  Masoretes were preservers and not innovators.
There is no doubt that they made mistakes; but, for the most part, their
vocalization of the text is based on reliable tradition that was handed
down to them from the previous generations of scribes.  No reputable
scholar working in Hebrew Bible accepts the work of Masoretes as completely
reliable.  But neither do any reputable scholars simply dismiss their work
either.  So Karl's views, I think I am safe in saying, are not shared by
the vast majority of scholars on this discussion list.

Second, and more importantly, I'm not sure how you did it, but you have
misunderstood the information from Davidson's analytical.  Perhaps you were
looking at the wrong line, or you misinterpreted Davidson's abbreviations.
For this particular form, Davidson indicates that the form is a Hiphil
perfect (he uses the term preterite) 1 person singular with a prefixed waw
consecutive, which is exactly right.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd