[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Tue Jul 9 12:26:24 EDT 2013

Karl I am relieved you said that.  I came to a conclusion just about
a month ago that that these pronounciations merely reflected one
moment in one time.  The grammar books and commentaries treat every
point as though it were an infallible static pronounciation set since
the foundation of the world!  And that deviations have to be
explained grammatically as long as that vowel point stays there.  I
came to an uneasy conclusion myself that these points are more
guidelines rather than set in stone.  So what if I pronounce a tsere
like a seghol or a patach like a chametz?  It does not matter one
bit, because language is fluid, and there coexists quite happily
different pronounciations within a single language.  Biblical hebrew
is not taught in any of the books like this, in fact they way they go
on and on about a single solitary vowel and the necessity to lengthen
this because that is in pause and that affects the short vowel which
now dissappears and it takes half a page to explain became burdensome
claptrap quite honestly.  It has been many years before I came to
this realisation and must say that much of the stress has gone from
previous years.  This is why I posted the question some time ago
about the pronounciation of Jerusalem when there was an artificial
hireq placed at the end to form a dual so that one says Yerushalyim
instead of Yerushalem, which the latter makes for better meaning
anyway.  I do not question that this was how it was pronounced when
the hebrew grammarians pointed it in their day, but I do not believe
that this was how it was originally pronounced at the time when the
scribes were composing and writing the various books.  (Apart from a
couple of instances if I remember correctly).  I also learned from a
rabbi (and this was an eye opener) that the vowel pointing does not
even reflect everyday pronounciation even at he time of the
masoretes, it is for the most part a liturgical device, a musical
device and poetic device.  So Yerushalyim is great when you sing it,
but yerushalem kind of ends the rythmic feel too abruptly in music.
Now the vowel pointing makes more sense for when I hit a seghol and
think hey, that does not sound right, it feels awkward on my lips and
clumsy.......

So back to the Hiphil.  How would a hiphil imperative be translated
here anyway, I simply am not knowledgeable enough to be able to do
this. I can not even guess at it.  In essence how can any hiphil be
an imperative when the hiphil relects a causative aspect in a
sentence?  (realising that some hiphils are not strictly causation).
how can you cause something in an imperative fashion, does not make
sense at all.

Chris Watts
Ireland

Chris Watts