[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 11:36:35 EDT 2013

Chris:

You can’t trust the Masoretic points.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes at eircom.net>wrote:

> Hallo Pere, well firstly I recognised that the heh holem vav is
> indicative of an imperative and the heh a hiphil, then the tsere
> under the tsadi instead of a hireq.  I was surprised so I checked B.
> Davidsons's hebrew analytical lexicon and there is written this word
> idicating it as an imperative hiphil?  Also I checked my personal
> grammar under the assumption that this verb would qualify as a Pe Vav/
> Pe Yod.

The unpointed consonantal text can be read either as a hiphil or hophal
first person singular verb. As hiphil it has the reading “I cause to exit”,
i.e. bring out, which best fits the context.

If this is pointed as an imperative, then you need to be able to step out
and say that this doesn’t make sense, how else could it have been pointed
to make sense? Then go with that.

> Chris Watts
> Ireland

Karl W. Randolph.