[b-hebrew] Relationship of כרך, 'wrap around, surround', to כרר?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Jul 8 18:47:51 EDT 2013

1. KRK כרך is the root of תכריך TA-KRIYK, 'wrapping', as in
Esther 8:15 (the "prefix" -TA is the personal pronoun ATAH for the
thing itself.)

2. In my opinion the etymology you present is an evident fallacy.
KARAK, 'wrap', does not "come from" KARKAR, 'dance, leap, move
vigorously and rhythmically', as in 2Sam 6:16, and vise versa. Hebrew
words "come from" a root, not from each other.

3. According to this etymology, כר הגמל KAR HA-GAMAL, 'pillow,
saddle, sack', as in  Gen. 31:34, is the thing that hops, M-KARKER,
on the camel's back; and the ארגז ARGAZ, 'box, chest', of 1Sam
6:8, is the thing that is angrily, B-ROGEZ ברוגז rattling in the
cart.

4. I think we should leave alone the "Akkadian". In any event, I
don't even remotely believe that KABABU is 'to roast', (namely, to
prepare shish-kebab), nor that KAMU is 'to burn', (namely, something
between to QAM, 'stand', and XAM, 'hot'.)

Isaac Fried, Boston University