[b-hebrew] Passive Qal

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 04:09:40 EDT 2013

Bryant:

Two thoughts come to mind:

1) in the Yiqtol conjugation, in an unpointed text, there are no
differences between the Qal, Niphal, Piel, Pual, and hophal for regular
verbs. So how do you know which binyan was used for this verb?

2) the reading of “be extinguished” is a quirk of the English language. If
instead we read it as “their fire will not go out” we have an active
reading of the text. No need even to consider a passive.

The reference to D(K synonym I understand has the meaning “to sputter out,
die down (of flame)” used most often of its nine appearances in Tanakh for
the sputtering out of a lamp’s flame.

Therefore, from the Hebrew, I see no need for a passive reading of the verb.

As for the theology, … well … let’s save that for another post.

Karl W. Randolph.