[b-hebrew] 1kgs10

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Mon Jul 1 15:46:53 EDT 2013

Nir Cohen:
You wrote:  “there is abs. no sense to import horses and  chariots from
turkey to israel and then sell them back to  syria. no, solomon did not buy
horses  from turkey and sell them to syria.”
I agree 100%.  Yet that is how the majority of  translators understand I
Kings 10: 28-29.
You attempt to resolve that problem by  denying that YC) means “to export”
.  You say:  “in fact, it is  always used as ‘go out, leave’.”  But that
is basically what the word “to export”  means!
To me, the proper way to resolve the problem  that you rightly highlight is
to give up on the notion that QW-H means  small-time, oh-so-modest Que,
which to the best of my knowledge was never  associated with horses.  I myself
see the QW Hebrew root of that name as being identical to the Qa-we Hurrian
root  of an attested Hurrian name, in both cases referring to the
semi-legendary place  in Mongolia, China where horses are reputed to have been
domesticated.  No, historically no king of the Hebrews  ever got horses from
China.  I realize that.  But if we’re talking over-the-top luxury  here, which I
think we all may agree we are when we’re talking King Solomon, I  think that
a semi-mythical Qijia/Qa-we is more likely than historical small-time  Que
as the place where Solomon is supposedly getting the finest horses in the
entire world.
YC) is used 1,069 times in the Hebrew  Bible.  KJV usually translates it as
 “…out” or “…forth” or “depart”.  All  of those concepts fit “to export”
 quite well, and many translators, including  the Hebrew experts at JPS,
translate YC) at I Kings 10: 29 as  “exported”.
To me, my proposed solution is  more plausible than yours.  But at  least
you and I do agree that “there is abs.  no sense to import horses and
chariots from turkey to israel and then sell them back to  syria. no, solomon did
not buy horses  from turkey and sell them to syria.”
So you and I are ahead of the translators in any event,  one way or the
other.
Jim Stinehart
Evanston,  Illinois