[b-hebrew] To Bless and Pools of Water

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Mon Jul 1 10:14:26 EDT 2013

 From the very first use of this word "bless" to the contexts within
its use throughout scripture I would have to conclude that its
meaning is fundementally:  'increase' in a good favourable way.  The
seventh day is 'blessed' (were not the other days blessed)? No,
because they were incomplete and unable to produce fruit, they were
in the making.  But the seventh day was complete, all was ready for
nature to begin its natural cycle of repetitive 'increase' into which
of course God was involved and had set laws of how things should
increase, but more importantly, He, (God) was all about fruitfulness
and increase for the good, so instead of reading:  "...and He blessed
the seventh day..."; I read: "...and He came down and became an
active participant with His created things...His creation was now
finished, but His work (as in, simply by being present) continued,
thus it was also 'set apart/distinguished a sbeing a different day
from the rest".  Once again in the absence of etymolgy, is this allowed?

   The link with pool, (if there is a link, and in the absence of
etymological evidence), I presume to be perhaps the fact that a pool
in the desert would be a source of (blessing)?  or enabled an
increase? for life to grow, camels to fill up their humps?  This is
my speculation.  Again, just speculating, the heh ending makes this
noun feminine, and things like earth and land and Torah are feminine
and this alludes, I believe, to a sense of cherishing in the word, in
the way that Mother cherishes and gives and sustains life.  I know
this is a deviation from strict analytical devices, but I often see
this as complimentary rather than a deviation, if a sensible balance
is kept.

Chris Watts
Ireland