[b-hebrew] grassy roof

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 15:06:36 EST 2013

Thanks Pere and others who answered:

Each of the verses where “grass of the roof” is mentioned, also mention the
grass drying up. This would be consistent with grass seeds being blown up
or carried by birds onto a hard roof and not having deep roots. Only a
poorly maintained house would have a lot of grass, if this picture is
correct.

I have lived in an area with traditional adobe houses with mud roofs
(actually wood, with a layer of compressed and dried mud as a water sealer)
and properly maintained, they don’t leak, nor do grasses grow on them. On a
somewhat not as well maintained roof, some grasses may grow, but they
quickly dry up because the roof is usually hotter and dryer than the nearby
fields. So the picture of accidental growth, not deliberate planting makes
sense.

But in all the country? Is there any evidence from the bronze age or
there-abouts for deliberately sown grass roofs? Or are we still guessing?

Karl W. Randolph.