[b-hebrew] Recreating the Origins of Language

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 14:43:17 EST 2013

The problem with any such reconstruction, whether by machine of by hand, is
the set of presuppositions that guide any such reconstruction. What if
they’re wrong? Then it’s a case of GIGO.

For example, does Yemini Arabic represent an older form of the language, or
was it corrupted by contact through trade with Africa and Asia, corruption
that doesn’t extend to other dialects of Arabic nor other Semitic
languages? What about the role of linguistic borrowing?

So far it looks as if the “reconstructions” refer only to vocabulary, not
grammar.

I can’t help but remain sceptical.

No, I don’t have access to the whole article.

Karl W. Randolph.