[b-hebrew] Theophoric names

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 09:17:02 EST 2013

Shalom

From: Will Parsons <wbparsons at alum.mit.edu>
To: jkilmon at historian.net
>Hi Jack,
>
>On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:44:54 -0600, "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon at historian.net>
wrote:

>> I have always been interested in the custom of theophorics and what
>> appears to be a pattern.  During the 1st temple period, there was no
>> problem voicing the name of God.
<snip>
>> Inscriptions on bullae or LMLK impressions reveal the full suffix
>> theophoric, i.e.    חִזְקִיָּהוּ hzqyhw while the Biblical translations
are
>> "HezekYAH.  I think the 2nd temple prohibition on the Shem haMeforash
>> resulted in truncations, such as Ye-shua for Yehoshua, Yo-sef for
Yeho-sef,

From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz at yahoo.com>
<snip>
>The way it is used in the Lakhish and Arad letters,
>for instance, seems to support this, but does prove it.
>
>On the other hand, I think that the spelling of
>theophoric additions can not help here since names
>like Yehonatan are also spelled Yonatan in quite a
>few chapters in the text. As if to emphasize this point
>the two forms appear in one verse 1 Sam. 19:1!

Just to add another point, it also appears from some archaeological finds
that even during the first temple period, the Northern tribes (Israel) used
the shorter theophoric names (-Yah instead of -Yahu and Yo- instead of
Yeho-) cf (
http://members.bib-arch.org/publication.asp?PubID=BSBA&Volume=27&Issue=3&ArticleID=1)...
I am not sure if this might also be visible anymore as a difference between
the prophetic books from Israel vs those from Judah, because of later
scribal changes, but it might be worthwhile to look up for those of us with
the right kind of software?

Regards
Chavoux Luyt