[b-hebrew] Theophoric names

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 12:48:47 EST 2013

Dear List-Members:

This is just a comment that if someone wants to follow up on it could make
a more detailed study.

There was the claim made that Uriah was the first person listed in Tanakh
who had a name ending in the theophoric -YH or -YHW. But I just read
through 1 Chronicles 23–27, which lists many people connected with the
administration of the Davidic kingship, and I noticed name after name after
name ending in the theophoric -YH or -YHW, many of them the sons or
grandsons of those with such names. That shows a pattern that such
theophoric endings for names was at least not unusual in the generations
preceding David, if not common.

Just something I noticed while reading and thought it might be of interest
to others on this list.

Karl W. Randolph.