[b-hebrew] hatef vowels

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Feb 16 22:16:03 EST 2013

I think that the claim that hatef is "spoken shorter"  is a
terminological farce resulting from the funny literal
misinterpretation of "hatef" (which I think is but another word for
schwa) as "snatched".

I think that the XATAP-PATAX, for instance, is instituted as a
conciliation of a tradition for a schwa and a tradition for the sound A.

I have never heard the XATAP-PATAX being read "shorter". It is
routinely (and this is how do it) read as A, and Hebrew works
perfectly well this way.

It is true, that some readers revert to a schwa in a xet marked by a
hatef.

Isaac Fried, Boston University