[b-hebrew] Ezra 1:9, MXLP

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 23:39:12 EST 2013

Pere:

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The basic and main meaning of XLP is "to pass on/through" as we clearly
> have it in Song 2:11: "The rain passed on and went (out / away)"

This is one of the passages that makes me doubt that it means “pass
through”.

> Now, it is true that in the Hiphil it takes a range of meanings where
> "exchange" seems to be the main one.
> In Jb 29:20 I cannot understand what TXLYP really means...

This whole passage is difficult.

> I think, Karl, that in Ez 1:9 we have to trust the tradition, which
> has understood this word as "knives".  LXX has "parellagmena".

There are so many places where I have found tradition not trustworthy, so
why not here too? The LXX has shown in other passages that the translators
didn’t remember what was the original meaning of the Hebrew, therefore were
just guessing when they made their translation. So why should we assume
that they are correct here?

> And concerning the form, do you not accept that it can also be a Hiphil
> Participle?

If so, it is defective.