[b-hebrew] Ezra 1:9, MXLP

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Feb 2 22:49:26 EST 2013

The root XLP is a a variant of

GLB, *GLP, KLB, KLP, QLP, *QLB
גלב, *גלף, כלב, כלף, *קלף, *קלב

 From QLP we have the כילף KEYLAP, 'ax', of Ps. 74:5-6

יודע כמביא למעלה בסבך עץ קרדמות
ועתה פתוחיה יחד בכשיל וכילפות יהלמון

"They seem like men who lift up
Axes among the thick trees.
And now they break down its carved work all at once
With axes and hammers."

 From the later, kindred, root קלף QLP (related to GLP, 'curve', as
the Greek gluphein) we have the act QIYLEP, 'peeled off',
and the name קליפה QLIYPAH, 'peel, skin, rind'.

This is what leads to the thinking that the מחלף MAXLAP (29 of
them) of Ezra 1:9 is a sharp knife used to peel off the skin of the
slaughtered offerings ––– a kind of a תער הגלבים TAAR
HA-GALABIYM of Ezekiel 5:1.

Today we call it MA-QLEP or QOLP-AN

Isaac Fried, Boston University