[b-hebrew] text on the BH verb structure

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Aug 31 21:33:08 EDT 2013

1. There is no WAYYIQTOL with a double Y to be found in the entire
HB. I think one should refrain from subverting the Hebrew text by
writing a double letter where the biblical text has only one, the
bizarre theory on the "doubling" of a consonant by the "dagesh
forte", notwithstanding.

2. It seems to me that the verb form WAYIQTOL consists of three parts
WA-YI-QTOL in which WA is a variant of the act BA, 'come, be', in
which YI is the contracted form of the personal pronoun היא 'he',
and where the third part is the act itself.

For instance, Deut. 31:7

ויקרא משה ליהושע ויאמר אליו לעיני כל
ישראל חזק ואמץ כי אתה תבוא את העם הזה
אל הארץ אשר נשבע יהוה לאבתם לתת להם
ואתה תנחילנה אותם

KJV
"And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all
Israel, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou must go with this
people unto the land which the Lord hath sworn unto their fathers to
give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it"

where the first word of the verse is WAYIQRA, 'came-he-call'.

3. The equivalence of the personal pronouns הוא היא HU, HIY is
evident
in the (highlighted) word תבוא TABO = TA-BA-O, which in my opinion
means תביא TABI =TA-BA-I, 'you will bring', not as translated by KJ,
following the Aramaic translation of Onkelos, rendering את ET as
עם IM.

saac Fried, Boston University