[b-hebrew] The Names ??? ESAW and ??? LEWIY

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Fri Aug 30 10:03:58 EDT 2013

Isaac Fried:
You wrote:  “I suspect that the editor of Genesis  likewise doctored also
the name לוי LEWIY by the same tricky W for B interchange  he employed in
muddling the name עשו ESAW.  Originally it was, methinks, the  obviously
theophoric אלאבי ELABIY, combining אל EL and אב AB.  Then, he told us a
שובה לב a captivating  story, about a husband ready to "accompany" his
ולדנית fertile  wife.”
Isaac Fried, you start with  LWY, you add two alephs, you also change the
vav/W to bet/B, and then you claim  that you’re seeing a match?  [Not to
worry, we’ll see that the scholarly view of LWY is even worse than  that.]
1.  LWY is a west Semitic/Hebrew name from  the Hebrew verb LWH, which
means “to join, be joined”.  We see YLWH in the naming sentence at  Genesis 29:
34.  The archaic  2-letter root here is probably LW, with -Y and -H being
varying  endings.
This name foreshadows that  Levi will “join”/LWH with Simeon throughout
the rest of the Patriarchal  narratives, both in killing the men of Shechem
and in almost killing  Joseph.  So at Genesis 49: 5 Simeon  and Levi are
properly given a “joint” final curse from their father  Jacob/“Israel”.  Note
also that at Numbers 18: 2, 4, the  tribe of Levi/LWY is told to “join”/LWH
Aaron.
2.  If you’re looking for a theophoric,  there’s no reason to change any
letters here.  It’s right there in front of you:  LW -Y, where -Y is a
universal  theophoric suffix in the Amarna Letters.  Though ubiquitous in Hurrian,
one occasionally finds -Y used as a  theophoric suffix in west Semitic
names as well.  Thus in west Semitic, the divine name  Haddu can be followed by
-ia (or -ya), per Amarna Letter EA 287: 49, as  can the divine name Baal,
per Amarna Letter EA 165: 9.
So the more obvious meaning of  LW-Y/“Levi” is:  “Joined with  God”.
Leah, as is her custom, gets  very creative in dreaming that LWY might be
stretched to mean that she will  hopefully be “joined”/LWH to her husband by
virtue of bearing him this third  son.  We the audience are supposed  to figure
out on our own that Levi/LWY will surely “join”/LWH his older brother
Simeon in various actions throughout the Patriarchal narratives.  We’ve got
multiple good meanings for  LWY, without changing any letters in the received
text, and we haven’t even left  Hebrew yet.  There’s no reason to be
changing any letters in this wondrous text.
3.  I wonder if people know how university  scholars treat this name?  Many
 scholars follow Wellhausen and claim that “Levi”/LWY is a gentilic of his
 mother’s name, “Leah”/L)H, which allegedly means “wild cow” [I guess in
Arabic,  believe it or not].  No, I’m not  making that up.  Does Leah act
like  a “wild cow”?  No.  Would Leah’s mother in Bronze Age  eastern Syria
give her daughter an Arabic  name that means “wild cow”?  No.  And heaven’s
to  murgatroid, L)H and LWY have only their first letter in common anyway.
I don’t think “wild cow” is a  Hebrew word.  And I think the Arabic  word
being referenced by these scholars actually means “bull”, not wild  cow.
The analysis is something  along the lines that “Leah”/L)H allegedly means “
cow” based on the  Assyrian word letu, which is the feminine of lu, which in
fact means “bull”.  Lu in turn is a contraction of  le'u, and corresponds
to the Arabic la'a (for la'aiu), meaning “wild bull” [not  actually meaning
“wild cow”].  Le'u  (for leiu, la'iu, la'iiu) means originally, like
Hebrew abbir, “strong”.  See the first paragraph of the scholarly  article by
Paul Haupt here:  http://www.jstor.org/stable/3087584  But in my humble
opinion, L)H doesn’t look like either letu or lu in  Assyrian, and why would we
care what the Arabic word is for “wild bull”, since  how could an Arabic word
relate to Late Bronze Age  eastern Syria?  And none of that has  anything
to do with the name “Levi”/LWY in any event.
A closer match to the name “Leah”/L)H, by  the way, and a match that makes
more historical sense, is the Hurrian name [of  unknown meaning] that is
attested six times at Late Bronze Age Nuzi in eastern  Syria:  Ili-a-xi.  The
Hurrian rendering has 3 elements,  corresponding to the 3 Hebrew letters in
L)H [where he/H and heth/X were not  distinguished in cuneiform writing].
4.  The majority view of scholars as to the  name “Levi”, however, is
probably what is succinctly stated at John L. Mckenzie,  “Dictionary of the Bible
” (1995), p. 504:  “meaning and etymology uncertain”.  But is that
helpful?
5.  We see that there’s no name “Levi”  attested outside of the Bible in
the ancient world.  That’s because the early Hebrew author  of the
Patriarchal narratives created this name, on an all west Semitic/Hebrew  basis.  We
the audience are supposed  to realize that it’s a made-up name that was
created precisely so that it would  have the “obvious” meaning of “joined with God
”, but which could nevertheless be  stretched to possibly refer to Leah
being “joined” with her husband Jacob on  account of this third son’s birth,
and also so that it will be foreshadowed that  Levi is fated to “join” with
his older brother Simeon in their  misadventures.  As a made-up name  that
has multiple applicable meanings [with just a little stretching] in Hebrew,
the name “Levi” is just like the name “Reuben” that I mentioned in a
previous  post.  There’s no need whatsoever to  go changing any letters here.
The lack of Hurrian influence  on the names of Jacob’s children, even
though all of them except Benjamin were  born in Late Bronze Age eastern Syria,
is telling us that the formerly  all-powerful Hurrians are on the verge of
suddenly becoming yesterday’s people,  to become virtually extinct within a
generation or two.  Through Jacob, Hurrian-influenced names  dominate;  but
thereafter, beginning  with Jacob’s children, most names of Hebrews are all
west Semitic/Hebrew all the  way.
*       *       *
But I thought we were talking  about the name “Esau”.  Unlike the  names
of Jacob’s children, there’s no west Semitic analysis possible for the  name
“Esau”.  The name “Esau” is  utterly redolent of Late Bronze Age Syria,
thus showing the great  antiquity and historical accuracy of the Patriarchal
narratives as an extremely  early written text [in cuneiform].
There is no “editor of  Genesis” regarding the Patriarchal narratives.  No
editor could have come up with the  vintage Late Bronze Age Syrian name of “
Esau” on a letter-for-letter perfect  match basis.
Jim Stinehart

Evanston,  Illinois