[b-hebrew] The Name "Esau"

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Aug 28 11:45:57 EDT 2013

The editor of Genesis new very well what עשו means. He even
resorted to
a little sly visual obfuscation by writing ayin for aleph, and waw
for bet,
to turn the alien אשאב or אישאב into עשו, a clever
spelling modification to
take both the eye and the mind away from idols and into thinking
about עשב 'grass'.

The theophoric איש I$ is very common, as in ישמעאל I$MAEL,
שמעון
$IMON, אכיש AKIY$, כמוש KMO$ (KMO-I$?), and many more.

Likewise the theophoric אב AB.

Isaac Fried, Boston University