[b-hebrew] )PS

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Fri Aug 16 08:44:20 EDT 2013

1. I doubt that a Hebrew root can mean something as abstract as
'vanish'.
The etymological dictionaries, such as http://www.etymonline.com/ say
that vanish = va-nish' essentially meaning 'go (va, as in vamos)
out'. On
'margin' they say it is a mark.
Notice that in German 'to hide' is 'verstecken' or 'verbergen', both
of very
concrete meaning.

2. The act אגד AGAD is, in my opinion, a variant of אחד AXAD,
which by
itself, is a variant of אחז AXAZ, 'held together', and עקד AQAD,
'bound'.

3. You are right that AGAD is related to גדוּד GDUD, 'heap'.

4. In this connection we should mention also the nouns גג GAG, 'roof',
and דוֹד DOD, 'uncle, loved one, grown up'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University