[b-hebrew] Zech 9:10

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Aug 14 19:26:54 EDT 2013

Is it possible that אַפְסֵי אָֽרֶץ is more specifically
'the high mountains,
the apex of the earth'? I would compare the root אפס APS to the
root אבס ABS, of which we have אבוּס ABUS, 'fattened, made
plump,
swelled', as in Prov. 15:17 and 1Ki 5:3.

Today we use EPES for 'zero', but this is merely an example for language
using the positive (a thing) to express the, otherwise difficult to
express,
negative (nothing = no–thing), as the
הוֹי מַגִּיעֵי בַיִת בְּבַיִת
שָׂדֶה בְשָׂדֶה יַקְרִיבוּ עַד
אֶפֶס מָקוֹם
KJV: "Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field,
till there be no place"
of Is. 5:8, where אֶפֶס מָקוֹם (namely, אֶבֶס
מָקוֹם ) is at once 'no place',
and 'a full place with no space left free'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Aug 14, 2013, at 6:11 PM, Dave Washburn wrote