[b-hebrew] Zech 9:10

Dave Washburn davidlwashburn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 18:11:55 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Stewart Felker <stewart.felker at gmail.com>wrote:

> וְדִבֶּר שָׁלֹום לַגֹּויִם וּמָשְׁלֹו מִיָּם עַד יָם וּמִנָּהָר עַד
> אַפְסֵי אָֽרֶץ
>
> I have two issues here. משלו here is to be understood as "his dominion" -
> the object of דבר, correct? So, "and he will proclaim peace to the nations
> and [proclaim] his ruling/dominion..." Most major translations seem to be
> obscure this, supplying that his dominion "will extend" or "will be" from
> sea to sea.

וּמָשְׁלֹו מִיָּם עַד יָם looks more like a verbless clause to me: He will
proclaim peace to the nations, and his dominion is/will be from sea to sea
etc.  I'm not sure the grammar will support it as an object of דִבֶּר. It
reads more naturally as a separate clause.

Also, is it possible that the waw connecting מים עד ים with מנהר עד
אפסי ארץisepexegetical?

> I tend to think so. "From sea to sea, from the River to the ends of the
earth/land" appears to be a rather extensive way of saying "everywhere."

My answers are free, and well worth it.

Dave Washburn

Check out my Internet show: http://www.irvingszoo.com

Now available: a novel about King Josiah!