[b-hebrew] Shabbat in construct state?

Jerry Shepherd jshepherd53 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 15:07:26 EDT 2013

Hi Ari,

Your questions are intriguing.  It may be that GKC sect. 130 provides the
answer.

Here is a passage from that section (130a) that may help explain the
occurrence in Num 28:10.

"The construct state, which, . . . primarily represents only the immediate
government by one substantive of the following word (or combination of
words), is frequently employed in rapid narrative as a connecting form,
even apart from the genitive relation; so especially . . ."

This then leads into a discussion of places where this occurs with the
preposition B..  Perhaps this explains what is happening in Num 28:10.
 Perhaps,
then, the Masoretes were simply inconsistent in the way they pointed the
same construction in Isa 66:23.

Also in the same section (130e), there is a listing of places where there
is a simple apposition without a genitival relationship, yet the first word
in the apposition is pointed as if in construct.

I hope this helps.  If you don't have access to GKC and want some more
information, please contact me.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd