[b-hebrew] By Whose God did Goliath Curse

Stephen Shead sshead.email at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 17:14:46 EDT 2013

Ken,

A small response to the other texts you listed with אלהיו with a
subject/object from outside Israel: The difference with 1 Sam 17:43 is that
באלהיו is immediately preceded by "David". In all the other cases you
listed, even where there is some other candidate in the context whose
"god/s" might possibly be on view (e.g. Jehoiakim in Dan 1:2 or Jonah in
Jon 1:5), there are not named immediately before באלהיו. So I'm not sure
that list has much weight for considering this case.

And a very minor point I noticed, which has nothing to do with Ken's reply
and is probably irrelevant to the topic anyway: I notice that all the
English translations render the final אשׁר חרפת as "whom you have defied" -
presumably referring to YHWH. But every other reference to Goliath's
defiance (with חרף) explicitly gives the "ranks" (מערכות, battle lines) of
Israel as the object:
v.10 "I defy the ranks of Israel"
v.25 "to defy Israel"
v.26 "he defies the ranks of the living God"
v.36 "he defies the ranks of the living God"

So in v. 45, I presume the natural antecedent of אשׁר would simply
be מערכות ישׂראל, rather than going all the way back to YHWH.

(Interestingly, the only translation I saw which opts for that is the
Spanish *Nueva Versión Internacional*, which uses a plural relative pronoun
agreeing with "armies".)

Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales
Santiago, Chile