[b-hebrew] dagesh or no dagesh

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Sep 20 19:52:34 EDT 2012

Methinks that:

1. There is no such thing as a kamatz "katan" and a kamatz "gadol".
If you (not personally) prefer to pronounce a certain kamatz AOUEI
and wish to call it a kamatz beynoni you (not personally) have my
permission to do it.

2. The dagesh is a vestige of a pre-NIKUD reading prop which became
obsolete upon the introduction of the punctuation. Its only purpose
now is to bedevil the Hebrew language with bizarre rules (courtesy of
the Hebrew "Academy") on reading the BKP letters.

3. In Nu. 23:27 it is W-QAB-OTO with a dagesh in the letter B
following a patax, as expected. In Nu. 22.7 it is QABAH with no
dagesh in the letter B, following a kamatz, as expected. In Nu. 23:25
it is TI-QAB-ENU with a dagesh in the letter Q, following a xiriq, as
expected.

Isaac Fried, Boston University