[b-hebrew] sky (Rolf's Response)

TedBro at aol.com TedBro at aol.com
Wed Sep 5 09:22:14 EDT 2012

I'm familiar with Enuma Elish but not with Westermann's comment. Apparently
 his book came out right about the time I wrote my paper in college!! I do
not  read Akkadian and was dependent on Heidel's Babylonian Genesis.

As I previously wrote and as you state, the parallels between Gen 1 and
Enuma Elish are often overdrawn. I do / did feel the tehom and Tiamat were
related, not only phonologically, but also in motif. (Other scholars, before
and  after disagree with Westermann, but I'm willing to look at his
arguments).

Both tehom and Tiamat represent primordial waters that are split into
oceans and vapors. That similarity, in and of itself shows some that the two
creation traditions are at least distantly related. However EE is theogenic
(story of the creation of the gods) while Gen 1 is cosmogenic (story of the
creation of the physical world).

Peace,
Ted

In a message dated 9/5/2012 4:13:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time,