[b-hebrew] Noun accord. K. Randolph

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:36:49 EST 2012

Will:

Good point.

The question is: when did Hebrew pronunciation change from native Hebrew to
bad Aramaic, i.e. Aramaic vowels and Aramaic consonantal pronunciation of
Hebrew writing? I think it started during the Babylonian Exile, and largely
reached completion before the LXX was written.

There are some very sparse clues that there was also a secondary change,
one that started in the South (Egypt) probably during the time the LXX was
translated, but did not reach all of Aramaic speaking Jews until centuries
later, hence Peter’s accent and some of the spellings retained in the
Byzantine transliterations in the New Testament.

Karl W. Randolph.