[b-hebrew] gen 28 sulam

jimstinehart at aol.com jimstinehart at aol.com
Wed Nov 28 22:45:31 EST 2012

George Athas:

You wrote:  “I think סלםmeant 'elevator', because I can't see any other technology as being able to getto the top of the sky in good time to enable divine messengers to be going upand down on them all within the timeframe of a single vision.”

1.  The Hebrews andCanaan had no concept of technology similar to an elevator.

2.  But more to thepoint on the b-hebrew list, there is no Hebrew linguistic connection between SLMand “elevator”.

The only way to “square the circle”, as it were, is toconsider the possibility that SLM may have been a foreign loanword into Hebrewway back when.  We begin to realize thatthe Patriarchal narratives are  r-e-a-l-l-y  old.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois