[b-hebrew] Noun accord. K. Randolph

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 28 19:46:49 EST 2012

Hi Karl,

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 07:38:01 -0800, K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com> wrote:

> Note: apparently the segolate form is late, possibly not earlier than
> Mishnaic or even Masoretic Hebrew. Even Waltke & O’Conner mention that the
> Amarna Letters, archaeologically dated to the Divided Kingdom era, give
> clues that the language then spoken was apparently a CVCVCV form with no
> consonantal clusters. I had earlier to my reading of Waltke & O’Conner come
> to the tentative conclusion derived from reading the unpointed text that
> such a form was possibly the case.

I won't venture an opinion on what might have been the pronunciation
in the Divided Kingdom era, but the segholate form apparently goes
back to the time of the LXX translation, at any rate.  For example, in
Gen 26.1, the name אבימלך is represented as Αβιμελεχ/Abimelech.

--
Will Parsons
μη φαινεσθαι, αλλ' ειναι.