[b-hebrew] gen 28 sulam

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Wed Nov 28 14:56:50 EST 2012

Nir Cohen:
You wrote:  “we know for sure that it [SLM] referred to a portable object
[due to the  word MUCAV], was pretty much vertical [due to the word RO)$O]
and was used for  climbing or moving up.  i cannot  imagine any other object,
except a wooden ladder, which would suit this  description and be within the
technology at that time.”
Yes, but the whole problem, you see, is that based on  Hebrew linguistics,
it’s very difficult to see SLM as meaning “ladder”.  Linguistically, SLM
might be matched to  either “baskets” or “ziggurat-style ramps”, but those
alternatives don’t fit  historically and geographically.
That’s why I suggest cutting the Gordian knot and viewing  SLM as being a
Hurrian loanword.
Your Latin suggestion is  n-o-t  “the same logic”, because there were no
Latin speakers in Canaan in the Patriarchal  Age.  By contrast, the ruling
class  of Canaan at that time was, in my opinion,  dominated by Hurrian
princelings.  Thus on my view that the Patriarchal narratives were composed in
the  Amarna Age, recorded in writing [albeit in highly abbreviated outline
form] at  that time and, for the most part, never changed thereafter as to
substantive  content, we should not be surprised to find some Hurrian loanwords
among the  mysterious hapax legomenon Hebrew  common words in the
Patriarchal narratives.
By linguistic analysis such as this, I am trying to  establish the true
antiquity and pinpoint historical accuracy of the Patriarchal  narratives.  I
myself see the  Patriarchal narratives as dating all the long way back to the
Late Bronze  Age.
Jim Stinehart
Evanston,  Illinois