[b-hebrew] SLM: Jacob's "ladder"

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Nov 27 14:29:43 EST 2012

1. This is how I see it in my dream: A pulley wheel גלגלת
GALGELET is securely attached to
the gate of heaven. A rope is slung over the top wheel with two
baskets, סלים SALIYM,
tied to it, one to the left and one to the right, as in a scale
מאזנים MOZNAIYM. An angel
(or a thousand) sits himself in each basket so as to hold the system
in equilibrium
(assuming angels are affected by gravitation.) As one basket comes
up, the other
basket easily goes down, and a constant traffic is thus maintained
with little effort in
transporting the angels in both directions.

An angel that likes it here (having glimpsed one of בנות האדם
BNOT HA-ADAM) better
than there, may substitute a stone of equal weight in his place.

2. As for the "Hurrian" $ilum, meaning “something that allows
(pleasant) relations to occur”,
methinks that the Hebrew word for it is, curiously enough, not
שילום $IYLUM, but
rather אתנן ETNAN. See Deut. 23:17.

Isaac Fried, Boston University