[b-hebrew] SLM: Jacob's "ladder"

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 11:10:07 EST 2012

Jim:

The reason your threads are closed down so quickly is because they are
trying to prove a historical argument, not discuss linguistics.

You should be aware that there are strong disagreements among Hebrew
scholars concerning history: on the one side are those who take Bible as an
accurate historical record, and on the other side are those who follow the
Documentary Hypothesis that claims that the Bible was written much later.
Even within the Documentary Hypothesis school there are historical
disagreements concerning when books of the Bible were written, early vs.
later. This is a historical disagreement, deeply embedded in theological
differences, and if it were allowed to rage on this list, possibly no
linguistic research would occur here. That’s why historical arguments have
been declared off limits for this list.

Your arguments so far put you in the Documentary Hypothesis school, though
arguing for a very early date for that school.

There’s disagreement even among Egyptologists concerning the dates of the
Amarna Letters; David Rohl, for example, dates them to about 1000 BC,
others recognize that they portray a ninth to eighth centuries BC scenario.
Archaeology seems to back up the claim that the Amarna Letters were written
much later than what most modern historians claim.

I, on the other hand, accept that the Bible portrays an accurate history,
which puts the Patriarchs centuries before even an old dating of the Amarna
Letters.

Unfortunately, for linguistic analysis, the amount of Hebrew documents from
ancient times is so limited that we don’t have enough data to make
historical proofs as to when the individual books were written. For
practical purposes, all we have is the Bible. And the Bible is such a small
document that it simply doesn’t cover possibly even half of the language
that was spoken. That’s why there are so many words that are used fewer
than five times in Bible. To be honest, there are many words whose meanings
have been forgotten and honest lexicographers can give only tentative
glosses for their meanings. Therefore, the data are too small to give
historical analysis.

We know enough of the language that we can get an accurate understanding of
almost all of what was written, in spite of the fact that individual words
and some verses remain puzzles. But we don’t have enough data to go much
beyond that.

Historical arguments have been declared off limits for discussions on this
list, and because your arguments are at their heart historical arguments,
they are off limits therefore quickly shut down.

Karl W. Randolph.