[b-hebrew] סולם

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Nov 27 08:21:56 EST 2012

1. I think that the Hebrew root (or verb) represents a fixed, rather
than an ongoing,
state ––– the Hebrew root is a picture, not a movie. So, SALSAL
(as well as TALTAL,
ZALZAL, CALCAL, $AL$AL) is 'to be mound-like', not 'to lift upward'.
Nothing is
drawn upward, it just factually protrudes. A סלע SELA, 'rock',
like צלע CELA, 'rib', is not drawn upward,
but merely sticks up.

2. It is possible that SULM is plural for SAL, 'basket', and that
SULAM is kind of a
basket elevator. Today we call SULAM a ladder.

3. I don't think that צלם CELEM, 'image', has anything to do with
צל CEL, 'shadow'.
Such "horizontal" relationships between words are, in my opinion'
nonexistent in Hebrew.

4. There is no such thing as a "suspension of hostilities", but there
is slumping,
lounging or lolling, instead of madly hopping around with sword in hand.

5. As far as I can recall several  interpreters of the Hebrew bible
think that
the תלם TELEM  is indeed the mound, the תל TEL, of earth piled up
along
the חריץ XARIYC or חריש XARIY$, 'the groove', made by the
מחרשה MA-XRE$AH, the plow.

  Isaac Fried, Boston University