[b-hebrew] Psa 22,3

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Thu Nov 22 01:40:03 EST 2012

Sorry for the delay in replying, Bryant, but I've been at the SBL convention.

If you're asking for an occasion where a waw + noun at the front of a clause does not indicate a contrast, we could probably just look at Gen 1.2. The verse begins with this construction (והארץ היתה) and includes another (ורוח אלהים). In both these cases, we can say we have disjunctive syntax such that the verse feels like it's interposing an idea, but I don't think either of the relevant clauses is contrastive to what is before.

Similarly, you might check out Gen 34.5 and how it isn't really contrasting with Gen 34.4, although it is still disjunctive (introducing some extra information).

Cheers!

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia