[b-hebrew] Psalm 22,30 (or 31)

Yigal Levin Yigal.Levin at biu.ac.il
Wed Nov 21 09:07:50 EST 2012

Hi Peter,

That's exactly the difference between literal translation and meaningful translation. Literally, Darby is correct. In fact, I would even render "for THE generation." But what does that mean? Which generation is that? So different translations try to "play" with the text, in order to make it mean something that makes sense. Some do it better than others. KJV, for instance, has, "A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation." NRSV has, "Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord." NJPS has "Offspring shall serve Him; the Lord's fame shall be proclaimed to the generation to come", where the word YB)W at the beginning of the next verse is taken as the end of this one (in other words, assuming that the traditional verse division is mistaken. So take your pick.

Yigal Levin