[b-hebrew] Takliyth

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 12:02:34 EST 2012

Mike:

This word is used only five times in the Hebrew Bible, which in this case
makes a full understanding of the word somewhat uncertain.

It comes from the root כלה KLH meaning “to finish off, so as not to have to
deal with it any more, also used in the sense of being finished off (as in
dying or completing a task)” so seems to have the meaning “completion Job
11:7, 26:10, 28:3, Nehemiah 3:21 ⇒ complete Psalm 139:22”.

How best to translate this idea is another question, with different
translators giving different words to render the idea, some doing a better
job than others.

Karl W. Randolph.