[b-hebrew] הוּא after pronouns

Michael Abernathy mabernathy at conwaycorp.net
Thu Nov 15 01:07:18 EST 2012

I notice there are a number of passages where הוּא follows a pronoun and
is usually translated into English something like "I am," "you are," or
"he is."
See for example 2 Sam. 7:28, Psalm 44:4, Isaiah 37:16, 43:25, Jeremiah 14:22

If the pronoun is not used as a copula, what is its meaning?  It may be
a stretch but in some cases I could see it as a substitution to avoid
using the name of God.  I believe this is how Baumgarten understood its
use in Isaiah.  I understand some take it that it emphasizes the
prounoun.  So 2 Sam 7:28 would read something like "You and only you are
God."

Do we have any consensus here?
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy