[b-hebrew] third person

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 22:58:11 EST 2012

  That's right, Will.  Solid evidence in Semitics is always a better basis for one's opinion than personal speculation . The latter has become more and more the norm in this list.

 As for the Arab equivalent to the Heb. /oti//otkha/ etc, I know off hand only the form "Ayyaka"  ( a Shaddah in the Y); it is in one of the first verses of the Quran. In the earlier Phoenician there are quite a few examples of  /)t/ , /)yt/.

   Uri Hurwitz

>  I don't think it's tenable to derive (e.g.) אתה (/'atta:/) from את + הו
(/'e:t/ + /hu:/).  The pronoun /atta:/ corresponds to forms in other
Semitic languages that have an internal /nt/, such as the Arabic form
ﺍﻧﺖ (/'anta/), whereas forms such as אתי (/'o:ti:/) pretty much exclude
the possibility of the preposition /'e:t/ having an original /nt/.  (We
would expect to see a form with a daghesh in the taw if that were so.)

--
Will Parsons
<