[b-hebrew] Sane' and Bazah

Mike Burke michaelgburk at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 22:56:21 EST 2012

I was just reading this, and wondering if it's on the mark?

SANE'
Love and hate are two words truly misunderstood and extremely overused.
Love is used for everything from fried chicken to YHVH himself. The word hate is equally spread out from broccoli to Osama bin Laden.
Scripturally, this word is from the Hebrew sane'
(saw nay). It is most notably seen in the several occasions of YHVH's feeling toward Ya'akov and Esav. "Ya'akov I have loved, but Esav I hated." Romans 9:13 (also Mal'akhi 1:2-3). Do you think that YHVH hated Esav in the same way that I hate celery or horseradish? I think not. This word
means to 'distance oneself' or to 'not prefer'. The context of its
scriptural meaning becomes more obvious when seen from its Hebrew
meaning. When Yahshua says that a true disciple is one who 'hates' his
father and mother (Luke 14:26), he simply means one who prefers the
Messiah over his parents. YHVH preferred Ya'akov over Esav because Esav
despised his birthright. In Mizmor 81:15, we read of 'haters of YHVH'.
It is simply those who do not prefer YHVH to the rest of what life has
to offer and they distance themselves from Him. There are many other
Hebrew words that would correspond better to our modern understanding of hate: bazah (despise), ma'as (to loathe), to'evah (abominable). So ask yourself, "Do I really hate my little brother?" Shalom Alecheim!

http://www.wildbranch.org/teachings/word-studies/10sane.html

Does this capture the meaning of Sane'?

Mike Burke