[b-hebrew] 3ms vs 1cp pronominal suffixes on yiqtol

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 01:30:14 EST 2012

Yes, the suffix [segol, nun with dagesh forte, shuruq] refers to 3rd.
person singular masculine.
For the 1st plural common often the pattern [tsere, nun, shuruq] is used.
Compare
http://www.oham.net/out/PS-t/PS-t0944.html
 http://www.oham.net/out/PS-t/PS-t0943.html

to see the difference.
These patterns are pointed exactly the same except for just the ending
we're dealing with.

Friendly,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)

2012/11/5 Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 at gmail.com>

> Hi Charles,
>
> You've raised a very interesting question.  I did a search in my
> BibleWorks, and while I cannot claim it is exhaustive, I couldn't find a
> single instance where this suffix on a finite verb is 1cpl.  For years now
> I've assumed and taught that the suffix is ambiguous.  I imagine that the
> supposed ambiguity comes from the occurrence of the suffix on the
> preposition min.  But, as far as I can tell, the suffix does not represent
> 1cpl on verbs.  In your particular example, I suppose the 3ms suffix can,
> as is sometimes the case with 3ms suffixes generally, refer to a plural
> entity.  And I see that several translations take it that way.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Jerry
>
> Jerry Shepherd
> Taylor Seminary