[b-hebrew] Takliyth

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Mon Nov 5 16:36:12 EST 2012

On 11/5/2012 3:54 PM, George Athas wrote:
> I don't think Augustine is reading anything into תכלית. He's not reading
> Hebrew at all. He's reading Latin 'perfectum'. So to a large extent,
> your approach is asking the wrong question. If you want to know what
> Augustine thought, just look at Latin 'perfectum'. If you want to know
> whether Augustine's view incidentally overlaps at all with the Hebrew,
> you need to compare the semantic ranges of תכלית and 'perfectum'.

I've already posted on the semantic range of "perfectum." While
Augustine knew no Hebrew, and only limited Greek, he is using Jerome's
translation (at least the text he reads matches that translation), and
so this gives us a clue as to how Jerome read the Hebrew at that point.

--
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Semper melius Latine sonat