[b-hebrew] 3ms vs 1cp pronominal suffixes on yiqtol

Jerry Shepherd jshepherd53 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 13:17:58 EST 2012

Hi Charles,

You've raised a very interesting question.  I did a search in my
BibleWorks, and while I cannot claim it is exhaustive, I couldn't find a
single instance where this suffix on a finite verb is 1cpl.  For years now
I've assumed and taught that the suffix is ambiguous.  I imagine that the
supposed ambiguity comes from the occurrence of the suffix on the
preposition min.  But, as far as I can tell, the suffix does not represent
1cpl on verbs.  In your particular example, I suppose the 3ms suffix can,
as is sometimes the case with 3ms suffixes generally, refer to a plural
entity.  And I see that several translations take it that way.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary