[b-hebrew] Takliyth

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Mon Nov 5 06:30:41 EST 2012

On 11/5/2012 4:22 AM, George Athas wrote:
> Could this not simply be the phenomenon of shifting semantic domains? In
> Hebrew, this word means 'perfect' in the sense of 'complete'. While
> 'perfect' is a legitimate way to translate the word in Latin, the actual
> Latin word has a slightly different semantic range, on which Augustine
> is basing his discussion. In other words, Augustine is situating his
> discussion within the Latin meanings of the Latin word, not the Hebrew
> meanings of the Hebrew word.

Certainly possible, George, although my earlier response demonstrated
how Mike's definition of the English "perfect" is not necessary to
Augustine's discussion. If Augustine is approaching that sense, it is
due to the semantic shift of the word itself, a shift we see that
eventually works its way when the word becomes an English borrowing from
medieval Latin, but does not seem to be part of Classical Latin or the
writers of later antiquity who do their best to imitate that style of
Latin.  Neither the Lewis & Short or the OLD list "perfect with regard
to moral qualities" or the like as a meaning for the word.

--
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Semper melius Latine sonat