[b-hebrew] takliyth

Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. nir at ccet.ufrn.br
Sun Nov 4 20:51:17 EST 2012

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 18:57:56 -0500, Isaac Fried wrote
> 1. What is an "established fact" in Hebrew?

isaac,

a public opinion is an act of public responsability. stating
unfounded facts which are not in consensus qualifies as
disinformation, even if falsity cannot be established.

now, when you state in public that T in the word TAKLIT (an
abstract noun usually featuring in third person) represents
ATAH (first person) you are (to the best of my knowledge)
voicing a one-man opinion.

i am sure you are aware  that most hebrew grammar books take a different
opinion. namely, that T is a grammatical prefix indicating the
formation of an abstract noun. your reaction has always been:
grammatical prefixes do not exist in hebrew. this is also, probably,
a one-man opinion.

even if one tries to compromise the two opinions, i.e. that ATAH
was a precursor of the actual prefix T, this remains conjectural.

now, TKLIT is a noun. even if we restrict ourselves to the verb
domain, say T in TLK, your claim that T represent ATAH (second
person, though TLK may be either second or third person) is just
a one-man conjecture, it seems.

i could quoted chomsky in order to show the inherent weakness of
this conjecture. but to no avail: at best, you would probably remark
that chomsky is not an authority in hebrew.

> 2. It seems to me that KLL is 'include'.

it is strong's opinion that TKLIT derives from KLH, not KLL.
i tend to side with him in most of the five quoted cases of TKLIT.

nir cohen