[b-hebrew] Takliyth

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Nov 3 19:28:23 EDT 2012

Meseems that תכלית TAKLIYT = TA-KL-IYT is of the root כל
כלה כלל KLL, 'encompass, include', with the initial personal
pronoun TA = ATAH אתה and the trailing combined personal pronoun
IYT, all for the thing itself. Hence, TAKLIYT signifies here 'total,
full, complete, consummate, perfect, general, entire, whole,
conclusive, inclusive, all-embracing, all-encompassing.

The root KLL is a variant of

גלל, הלל, חלל, כלל, קלל

GLL, HLL, XLL, KLL, QLL

In today's spoken Hebrew TAKLIYT came to mean 'goal, end, ultimate
purpose'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University