[b-hebrew] Haggai 2,8 + Ezra 3,10

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Sat Mar 31 06:10:48 EDT 2012

This seems like an attempt to harmonize the sources, and then reading the verbal conjugations in such a way that allows for this harmonization.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies

On 31/03/2012, at 12:11 PM, "K Randolph" <kwrandolph at gmail.com<mailto:kwrandolph at gmail.com>> wrote:

I will answer a linguistic question here.

Because the Hebrew verbs do not conjugate for tense, that sometimes can lead to misunderstanding. One of those is that sometimes when the writer assumes that the audience understands that a certain event happened before another, the writer then writes a rather abbreviated account that needs context from other sources in order to understand the order of events, especially when an earlier event is listed after a latter one. An English writer (German also) would be able to indicate through tense the order of events.

Here Haggai 2:18 is not clear as to the order of events, other sources indicate that the foundation was laid well before the time of Haggai. The context around Haggai 2:18 also seems to indicate that a certain amount of time had passed since the foundation was laid. So linguistically, there is no problem in recognizing that Haggai referred to the same event as Ezra. It’s just that the Hebrew linguistic practice does not conform to English practice.

Karl W. Randolph.