[b-hebrew] Haggai 2,8 + Ezra 3,10

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Thu Mar 29 21:53:24 EDT 2012

Peter,

The issues you raise here are predominantly questions of historical construction with two different sources. It's not really a linguistic issue pertaining to the Hebrew. The Hebrew is quite straightforward, indicating the laying of foundations for the Jerusalem temple. The historical problem is determining when this occurred, and that is not straightforward.

Since historical discussions are not really permitted in this forum, apart from clarifying linguistic issues, I will only give a brief thumb-sketch of the issues, but will not invite any further exploration. For that, I'd refer you to relevant secondary literature.

Ezra portrays a foundation laying before the time of Darius, but Haggai portrays a foundation laying during the time of Darius. These can either be harmonised by concluding there were two foundation laying ceremonies, or else seen as independent sources, each with a different opinion on when exactly the foundation was laid.

There are many more historiographical issues involved in these considerations, but B-Hebrew is not the place to explore them. We need to confine our discussion to the Hebrew.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia