[b-hebrew] Haggai 2,8 + Ezra 3,10

ps2866 at bingo-ev.de ps2866 at bingo-ev.de
Thu Mar 29 14:33:14 EDT 2012

Dear Friends of B-Heb,

by comparing Haggai and Ezra I found a problem that I can't solve on my own:

In Haggai 2,18 it states: "from the day that the foundation of the LORD'S
temple was laid" (NKJ)

In Ezra 3,10 we read: "When the builders laid the foundation of the temple
of the LORD" (NKJ)

In both instances the writer uses the verb JaSaD. What is the difference
between both occurences, as a foundation can't be laid twice, I guess, and
there are some years between both passages.

Is it better to understand the verb as "beginning to build" rather than
laying the foundation?

Thank you again for all help !
Yours
Peter M. Streitenberger, Germany