[b-hebrew] When did )NK in Amos 7:7f become interpreted as "plumb line"?

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 18:17:46 EDT 2012

Daniel:

The question here, what was the tool used for?

The advantage of lead, in modern usage, is its density, but any weight can
be used and the tool is stil functional. It doesn’t matter what the tool’s
weight is made of, if it holds the line straight, it does its job. If it is
true as you say that the original weight was made of tin, hence its name in
Akkadian, it is best to translate it not by the name “tin” rather as
“ plumb-line” in English, even though “plumb” refers to lead.

It is function that we look for, not form.

Karl W. Randolph.